Saturday, August 30, 2014

Week 3 - "The Origins of Social Media", "The Death of Segmentation" & Seth Godin's Ted Talk



This week I read, “The Origins of Social Media” in The New Influencers and “The Death of Segmentation: IBM VP talks segments of one consumer”.  The concept behind “The Origins of Social Media” is that blogs have given way for regular people to have voices, that, in the past were either not possible or not respected (by companies).  The article mentions how companies have to be prepared for both the positives and negatives that accompany social media; consumers have the immediate ability to either praise or trash your company/product.  This change is going to take place regardless of whether companies like it or not but its best to be proactive in this type of a situation rather than reactive.

In “The Death of Segmentation: IBN VP talks segments of one consumer”, Ginni Rometty talks about how marketers have to adapt to a new way of thinking because dividing customers into segments will no longer work due to the emergence of “big data”.  She argues that because of the influx of “big data”, customers will need to be treated as individuals rather than as part of a segment.  My thoughts on this are that I am inclined to agree with Rometty.  As more and more data becomes available, businesses will have no choice but to treat their customers as individuals.  There will be too much data available to point to each specific customer’s needs vs. taking them as a whole with their industry or segment as was done in the past.

I also watch Seth Godin’s Ted Talk on “How to Get Your Ideas Spread”.  I loved “The Idea Virus” so I enjoyed watching this video the most out of all this week’s material.  What resonated with me most was towards the end when he got really specific about how to get ideas to spread - make sure you have something remarkable and focus on those who are interested in what you’re selling or talking about, or your “otaku.  This was interesting because it was something that I felt intuitively but to hear Seth explicitly say it let me know that I am on the right path.

I am working with a recording artist who recently released his first EP.  As a promotional tool, we have been offering reloadable MP3 players with his music pre-loaded.  We have gotten excellent feedback on the concept and idea and I think that it is safe to say that we have identified our something “remarkable”.  Our next step is to identify our otaku.  This is something that we are currently working on but, takes time to achieve.  I do think, however, that I learned a while ago to only focus on those that are interested in what we have to offer.  I was talking to my boyfriend about the EP recently and he was telling me how there were two songs on it that he doesn’t like.  I told him that I was ok with that because those songs weren’t meant for him.  His argument was that music should be universal and I shouldn’t be grouping off certain songs for certain individuals.  I do agree that music is universal but my grouping was not specific to him, as a person, it was simply to say that if you don’t like a particular song, then it was not made for you, and I feel that this speaks to Seth’s Otaku concept.

 "South Side" EP MP3 Player - Available for sale @ JukeRelated.com

I also read the HBR article, “Community Relations 2.0”.  I think this article picks up where “The Origins of Social Media” left off.  What I liked most about it was the outline on page 7 that basically mandates how companies should utilize their social media team.  I liked it because it gave real steps and instructions on how they should operate and what things to be on the lookout for.

I tried to listen to the Gil Frisbie and Frank podcast on “The Long Tail", but it didn’t capture my interest.  I was familiar with the concept because it was covered in my undergrad Strategic Management course so I decided to read Chapter 1 of “The Long Tail” to refresh my memory.  It’s easy to see why so many brick and mortar book and music stores have gone out of business.  They can’t compete with online retailers who are capturing a significant portion of their revenue from sales that brick and mortar locations don’t have.  It would be impossible for an actual store to house thousands and thousands of CDs that might not be of interest to people in a certain locale.

No comments:

Post a Comment